If you’ve been vaping for a while, it’s likely that you’re well aware of pod vaping systems. Maybe you’re even using one now. Pod systems now occupy the market segment of the vaping industry that cigalikes once dominated. They’re only slightly larger than cigalikes, and with the addition of nicotine salt e-liquid, they can provide the same level of satisfaction as tobacco cigarettes.
Pod Systems Have Many Benefits – and One Major Drawback
Pod systems have become so popular among the vaping community that many people have traded in their advanced sub-ohm mods – and the extremely high e-liquid consumption that goes along with those devices – for pod systems that are much smaller, just as satisfying and far less expensive to use.
As economical as they may be compared to sub-ohm mods, though, pod systems do have a major drawback in that replacement pods can be quite expensive. Switching to a pod system may save you some money by reducing your e-liquid consumption, but buying an entire replacement pod – when all that you actually need is a new coil – really cuts into your savings.
Replaceable Coils Solve the One Problem With Pod Systems
People love pod vaping systems, but buying a replacement pod every few days makes the systems far more expensive to use than they ought to be. What’s the solution? A pod system with replaceable coils deftly straddles the line between inexpensive pod systems and full-blown vape pens with tanks.
When you use a pod system with replaceable coils, you get all the benefits of traditional pod systems. You get the small device size and the simple operation of pod systems. You also get the ability to change flavors in seconds anytime you like simply by replacing your pod.
In addition to those benefits, using a pod system with replaceable coils means that you can buy replacement coils – usually in packs of five – for about the same price that you would ordinarily pay for two empty pods.
How much money can you save with a replaceable coil pod system? Let’s suppose that you use a coil-friendly unsweetened e-liquid, and you’re currently replacing your pod about once per week.
Imagine that you’re using the Suorin Drop. Pods for the Drop are available from Garden of Eden Vapors for $5.88 each. At 52 pods per year, that works out to a yearly cost to vape of $305 for just your replacement pods.
Compare that to the cost of using a replaceable coil pod system such as the SMOK Nord. Garden of Eden Vapors sells five-packs of SMOK Nord coils for $10.99. That’s $2.20 per coil, or $114 per year. That’s a huge savings!
What’s the Best Replaceable Coil Pod System?
There are plenty of great pod systems out there, but I really like the SMOK Nord. Every vaping system has its shortcomings, but I feel that the few shortcomings with the Nord are completely manageable. With this device, you get something that can offer virtually anything you could ever want from a pod system.
Benefits of the SMOK Nord
- The Nord has a manual fire button rather than an automatic puff sensor. The button allows the Nord to produce much more vapor than you’d ever get with an automatic device.
- The Nord is smaller than most vape pens, but it has a battery with a capacity of 1,100 mAh. That’s among the highest battery capacities – if not the highest – of any pod system.
- The Nord has a pod capacity of 3 ml. That’s enormous; it’s like having almost four full JUUL pods in your device at the same time.
The greatest benefit of the SMOK Nord, though, is the replaceable coil system. You can access the coil via the underside of the pod – just pull out the new pod, push in a new one and wait several minutes for the cotton to become saturated with e-liquid.
SMOK has really put some thought into the coil design of the Nord. Whether you’re a direct-to-lung or mouth-to-lung vaper – a cloud chaser or a flavor chaser – SMOK has a Nord coil for you. These are the four SMOK Nord coils available at the time of writing:
- 4-ohm standard coil (included in kit): Operates at up to 12 watts. For mouth-to-lung inhaling with higher-nicotine e-liquids.
- 6-ohm mesh coil (included in kit): Operates at up to 25 watts. For direct-to-lung inhaling with lower-nicotine e-liquids. At present, you probably won’t find a coil in the entire world of pod vaping systems with better vapor production than this coil.
- 8-ohm mesh coil (sold separately): Operates at up to 16 watts. Achieves even better vapor production for mouth-to-lung vaping.
- 6-ohm standard coil (sold separately): Operates at up to 20 watts. Traditional wound coil for direct-to-lung inhaling.
Drawbacks of the SMOK Nord
- The filling hole on the side of the pod is quite small. You might have trouble filling the pod if you don’t have a bottle with a narrow tip.
- Since the pod has a filling hole on the side and a hole for the coil at the bottom, leaking may be more common with the SMOK Nord than with some other pod devices. Wiping excess e-liquid away with a paper towel when you fill the pod or change the coil will help to prevent leaking.
Replaceable Coil Pod Systems vs. Tank-Based Vape Pens
Now that you’ve read a bit about how replaceable coil pod systems work, you might find yourself wondering why you should buy a device such as the SMOK Nord when you could just buy a more full-featured vape pen. With a vape pen, you can expect even greater battery life. You might get the ability to fine-tune your vaping experience by adjusting your device’s wattage. You’ll most likely also get a glass tank, which can potentially give you even purer flavors. Compared to pod systems, though, vape pens typically cost more – both for the devices themselves and for the replacement coils. In addition, pod systems are designed to serve those who prefer the mouth-to-lung inhaling style. Most vape pens, on the other hand, work best in a direct-to-lung setting only.