One of the things that manufacturers realized during the early years of the vaping industry is that, with such an enormous variety of vaping devices on the market – and considering that each person is a unique individual with unique needs – having a wide range of different nicotine strengths for vape juice is incredibly important. The number of different nicotine strengths available for e-liquid, in fact, have only increased over the years as new types of vaping equipment have emerged.
Buying the right nicotine strength for your needs is perhaps the most important part of having an enjoyable and satisfying vaping experience, and several factors influence that decision.
- Heavier smokers tend to need more nicotine. Otherwise, vaping won’t satisfy them.
- Lighter smokers tend to need less nicotine. Otherwise, they’ll find the vapor irritating and unpleasant to inhale.
- Some people decide to reduce their nicotine intake gradually after they switch to vaping. Buying a lower-strength e-liquid is an easy way to do that.
- Higher-power vaping equipment uses a large amount of e-liquid and generates very large vapor clouds. This type of equipment works best with lower-nicotine e-liquid.
- Lower-power vaping equipment uses a little e-liquid at a time and generates smaller vapor clouds. This type of equipment works best with higher-nicotine e-liquid.
With all of these different factors, it’s understandable that your first vape juice purchase might actually end up being the wrong one for your needs. In this article, we’re going to rectify that by explaining exactly what you should consider when choosing the nicotine strength for an e-liquid purchase. Let’s begin!
The Right Nicotine Strength for a Pod Vaping System
When you shop at a well-stocked vape shop, you’re likely to see a new type of e-liquid called nicotine salt e-liquid. With nicotine strengths ranging from about 25-50 mg, nicotine salt e-liquid is the highest-nicotine vape juice on the market. Because this type of e-liquid contains such a high concentration of nicotine, it’s only appropriate for use with low-power vaping devices.
Nicotine salt e-liquid works best with pod vaping systems. If you own a vaping device with a removable plastic pod that you fill yourself, you have a pod system and will probably have the best experience with nicotine salt e-liquid.
Most companies that produce nicotine salt vape juice sell their products in two nicotine strengths: a low-strength version with a nicotine concentration around 25 mg and a high-strength version with a nicotine concentration around 50 mg.
- If you are currently a smoker and are about to try vaping for the first time, you’ll probably have the best experience with a higher-strength nicotine salt e-liquid.
- If you have already switched to vaping and are thinking about trading in your current device for a pod system, you’ll probably have the best experience with a lower-strength nicotine salt e-liquid.
If you have a more powerful vaping device with a large glass tank, you should avoid nicotine salt e-liquids. Vape juices with nicotine strengths of 25 mg and higher are intended only for low-output vaping devices.
The Right Nicotine Strength for a Vape Pen
Vape pens vary in the amount of vapor they can produce per puff. Some vape pens are nearly as powerful as box mods, and others are just slightly more powerful than pod vaping systems. The right vape juice nicotine strength for a vape pen ranges from about 3-18 mg, and you can get a general idea of the right nicotine strength for your vape pen by looking at the vape pen’s mouthpiece.
- If your vape pen has a mouthpiece that’s around the same diameter as a pencil, you have a lower-output vape pen and should choose an e-liquid at the high end of the above range.
- If your vape pen has a mouthpiece that’s around the same diameter as a permanent marker, you have a higher-output vape pen and should choose an e-liquid at the low end of the above range. A higher-output vape pen typically works best with a vape juice nicotine strength of 3-6 mg.
The Right Nicotine Strength for a Box Mod
Box mods are the most powerful vaping devices on the market, and they come equipped with high-output vape tanks. Today’s high-end vape tanks can produce enormous clouds of vapor, and to produce those huge vapor clouds, they have very smooth and unrestricted airflow characteristics. In fact, using one of these vape tanks means that you’ll inhale in a way that differs from the inhaling style you use when smoking a cigarette.
To get the best possible vapor production with a box mod, you’ll usually inhale the vapor directly into your lungs. Most beginning vapers don’t prefer that vaping style, so box mods usually aren’t best for beginners. When you do decide to upgrade from your pod system or vape pen to a box mod, though, you should start with a vape juice nicotine strength of 3 mg and switch to a higher strength only if necessary.
Am I Using the Right Vape Juice Nicotine Strength?
Now that you know which e-liquid nicotine strengths work best with the most common types of vaping equipment, it’s time to consider your personal needs and decide whether you need to adjust from the nicotine strength you’re currently using. Luckily, it’s very easy to determine whether your current nicotine strength is the right one for you.
- Are you finding it difficult to vape because the vapor irritates your throat and makes you cough? Are you having a hard time tasting your e-liquid because you can’t taste anything but peppery nicotine? E-liquid should taste great, and the vapor should be smooth and easy to inhale. If that’s not the experience you’re having, your nicotine strength is probably too high.
- Are you still craving cigarettes like crazy even though you’re vaping constantly and going through your supply of vape juice at a rapid pace? If you can’t manage to feel satisfied regardless of how often you vape, your nicotine strength is probably too low. Increase your nicotine strength gradually until you feel satisfied.