Vaping has been around since 2007 with millions of people taking up the activity not just to quit smoking but simply to enjoy the rich clouds of vapors and delicious flavors available in the market. According to statistics released by BBC, close to 33% of adult vapers have successfully switched to vaping to quit their smoking habit. If you are a first-time vaper, here are a few tips and tricks that will help you choose the right e-cigarettes and e-juices that would be perfect for a beginner. Read ahead and get started.
1. Pick Out Disposable Vapes
Like the folks at Blackout Vapors advise, users who are just dabbling in cloud chasing could consider picking out disposable vapes like Hyde. These devices come pre-filled with a selection of flavored e-juices and are perfect for fuss-free vaping. You won’t have to charge the vape or look for an activation button. Just remove the packaging, take a draw and the device is good to go. Typically, a disposable like Hyde has 380mAh and will give you more than 500 puffs. The battery is a Lithium Ion/polymer, but is not rechargeable, the design is meant for the device to be discarded. You’ll know that the Hyde is empty when the blue light at the tip does not illuminate.
2. Choose Your E-Liquid with Care
You’ll find a whole selection of e-liquids and e-juices online. However, whether seasoned or first-time vapers, it is always advisable to choose high-quality, premium brands. Well-known US manufacturers are likely to use only the best of ingredients that will not hurt you. Expect that the e-juices will contain food-grade ingredients like Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG). The nicotine content will surely be medical-grade with pure flavoring guaranteed to provide nothing but an awesome experience. Check out this article on Journal Sentinel that reveals how the processes of formulating e-liquids are constantly evolving. For instance, diacetyl is carefully avoided ever since studies have shown that it causes lung damage.
3. Understand the Difference Between VG and PG Ratios
As a first-time vaper, familiarize yourself with VG and PG ratios. A higher vegetable glycerin content will give you rich clouds of vapors and have a smoother feeling. However, higher propylene glycol percentages will result in a lower volume of clouds and a harsh throat hit. Using an e-juice with higher VG is usually recommended since you’re less likely to develop allergies and the dense clouds are a lot more enjoyable. The overall vaping experience is sweeter and more fun.
4. Check the Nicotine Strength
E-liquids have nicotine strengths ranging from 0mg to 50mg and above. If you’re trying to kick your smoking habit, you’ll choose nicotine content equivalent to the number of cigarettes you smoke in a day. When you check the label, you’ll note that some brands specify nicotine in terms of percentage or milligrams. First-time vapers can simply use a basic rule of the thumb.
If the nicotine content is 0mg, 3mg, or 6mg, it’s probably the free-base variety. But, if the content is higher, that’s an indication that the nicotine is salt-based or nic salt. These e-liquids contain nicotine extracted from the tobacco plant using special processes that also use benzoic acid. As a result, the compound affects the cells of your body quickly. And, because it is smoother, you can vape higher levels without a throat hit.
If you have been smoking up to 10 cigarettes a day, you’ll choose e-juices with a lower nicotine content that will satiate your cravings. However, if you normally go through a pack or more a day, you’ll need higher percentages. Getting the percentages right for first-time vapers takes a bit of trial and error. However, if you’re trying it just for recreation, you’ll opt for 0mg nicotine and avoid getting addicted.
5. Follow the Safety Precautions Carefully
Regardless of whether you’re using a disposable vape pen or more advanced mods, make sure to follow some basic safety precautions. To begin with, remember that the lithium ion batteries must be handled with care. Understand how long you should charge the batteries and always store them in a cool, dry place away. Exposing the devices to moisture can damage the device while excessive heat and cold can affect the battery life and overall performance. For this reason, take care where you store the vape. Spots like a closed car on a hot day, your kitchen, and near other electric devices are a definite no-no. Here are some additional tips and tricks to keep in mind:
- Never leave the device unattended especially when there are kids and pets around. With a little searching, you can find packaging that is child and pet-proof.
- You must keep watch when you’re charging it in case something goes wrong.
- First-time vapers might want to start with short quick draws at a time and use their devices for a few minutes at a time. Once you learn how to draw the vapors into your lungs instead of swallowing, you’ll start to enjoy the entire experience.
- Whatever may be the kind of vape you’re using, dispose of it properly at the end of its life cycle. Remember that the device contains a lithium battery, which is why you’ll want to drop it off at the nearest eco-friendly battery disposal center. Avoid dropping the gadget into the recycling bin.
- Vaping tends to take away moisture from your body. Oftentimes, vapers start to sense headaches when they’re dehydrated., so do remember to drink lots of fluids.
- When you use the vaping mod, it is not unusual for it to seem warm to the touch. However, if the device starts to get uncomfortably hot, it could because you’re overusing it. Set it aside and allow to cool.
Vaping is a fun and exciting recreation if you pick the right supplies and learn how to follow the safety tips and tricks. Prepare to enter into a universe with a variety of flavors and tastes to choose. You’ll wonder why you never tried it before.